As I sit here on a chilly November night, my heart is filled with so much gratitude for how far I’ve come over the past year. The list of what I am thankful for could go on for pages and pages, possibly even hours! I wanted to post about Thanksgiving and gratitude this week, because it is something that has had a profound impact on my life within the past year. I hope you enjoy reading about my joys and my gratitude journey, and I would love to hear what yours have been this year!
Over the summer I had the opportunity to experience what it is like to support myself, work consistent hours, and plan life as an adult. I am so grateful for this experience, because it allowed me to grow more comfortable with managing my own life after one year of college. It made for a unique and amazing experience, and I got to spend time with amazing people and go to breathtaking places. I’m grateful for all of the people I met, all of my friends I got to reconnect with, the support of my family, and all of the amazing adventures that I had (even the ones that challenged my adulting skills!).
This year at college has given me a lot to be grateful for. To start, I am grateful for my room. It is my sanctuary, and a space where I can go when life gets busy. I am also grateful for my bed, especially since it has two layers of mattress toppers which is one of the best things after a long day! I am grateful for the community that I have made at college, both on and off campus. And yes, I am grateful for the struggle I had to go through to get here. My gratitude extends to experiences both positive and negative, because they have all taught me important lessons about life.
I am grateful for my blog. It has given me a way to explore my passion for writing, and to share my thoughts with the world. The community that I have connected with has supported me when my creative energy is running low, and has been there to celebrate my successes. I am grateful beyond words for you, my readers, because without you I wouldn’t have rediscovered my passion for writing and connecting with others. You have been here through my blogging journey, and I feel honored to continue this journey with you. 🙂
I came up with a list of all of the things that I have been thankful for over the course of 2016, though I am probably forgetting a few things! Gratitude journals have been a positive aspect of my life for the past year and a half, and are a way for me to end each day with joy.
Things I have been grateful for in 2016:
- My college community, room, and classes
- My majors, because they are allowing me to pursue my passions
- My Italian class, because I’ve learned that I love to learn languages!
- My friends, from all parts of my life, because they have been here to support me through everything
- My family, who has been supportive of all of my decisions and endeavors in this year of change
- Autumn weather and the beauty of leaves (see my Instagram for a picture I took that captures the beauty of autumn weather!)
- My dogs, because they never fail to bring me joy with their love and goofiness
- The local library, because I have been able to reengage with my love of reading
- My church community, which has given me an amazing support system off campus
- My blog, readers, and blog community! Blogging has brought so much joy to my life over the past year!
- Music. I have been loving music this year, and so many artists are amazing me with their talent. Recently my favorites have been The Fray, MAX, MKTO, Sam Tsui and Kurt Hugo Schneider, Maroon 5, James Bay, Izcalli, Enrique Iglesias (Bailando will always be one of my favorite songs!), X Ambassadors, Shawn Mendes, The Script, OneRepublic, Adele, DNCE, American Authors, and CRO. Check out my playlists on Spotify to see what I’ve been listening to! 🙂
- Letters. I love sending and receiving letters, especially in this digital age
- Hot showers, which is one of the best things after a long day (especially in winter!)
- Numerology and Astrology, which has been an amazing journey for me
- Coffee. Coffee has been a life saver this semester, as has tea and fresh water
- My planner, which has helped me keep track of my hectic schedule with ease! Read my post about why I love my planner, and how I use it, here!
- My phone. I had to replace my Android phone a few months ago, and I am so grateful that I have one that has helped me stay engaged with all of my endeavors!
- My computer, without which many of my life endeavors would not be possible!
- Fuzzy socks (and socks in general). If you know me you know I am a bit too obsessed with socks. One of the best feelings in winter is to have warm and cozy feet! I especially love my knee high fuzzy socks for trekking around campus in the snow and wind
- My winter boots, which have lasted through a few winter seasons perfectly!
- My vegan diet, as it has helped me to feel better in mind, body, and spirit
- Journals, because these have helped me to organize my dreams, passions, to-dos, and future
- My nose piercing, because it has given me the courage to live the life I want to live
- My pillow. I have had this pillow for quite some time, and it is one of the best things at the end of the day
- My water bottle (a nalgene), which has been the best for remembering to stay hydrated and healthy
I hope you enjoyed this week’s post, and if you are in the U.S. I hope you have a lovely Thanksgiving! What have you been thankful for in 2016? Let me know in the comments!
© The Wise Willow and Alyssa DeBella. All rights reserved.